In Abuja, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the Minister of Information, Culture and Tourism, says the Nigerian Police is not responsible for the alleged killing of a petrol attendant in Abia.
The minister disclosed this at the Presidential Taskforce on COVID-19 daily press briefing on Thursday in Abuja.
Achievers Newspaper recalls that there had been insinuations that the petrol attendant that died in Abia was allegedly killed by police personnel.
The minster, however, said that the petrol attendant was hit by an oncoming vehicle while the people were protesting against a tricycle that was allegedly hit by the police.
“What happened was that the policeman hit a Keke Napep and while the people were protesting, another oncoming vehicle hit the petrol attendant leading to his death,” he said.
He called on the task force in the state to ensure the protection of human rights while on duty, adding that while they should respect the rights of the people as they strive to maintain law and order.
Dr Sabi Aliyu, the Coordinator, National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), promised that the PTF would ensure that people’s rights were respected during the lockdown period.
He said the PTF was aware of challenges faced by Nigerians in the course of the lockdown and would not do anything to jeopardise the success it had recorded in the fight against COVID-19.
Aliyi said the PTF would look at the outcomes of the lockdown and make appropriate recommendations to President Muhammadu Buhari.
He said that it was expedient for the PTF to continue to synergise with states’ taskforce in order to take necessary steps against the against COVID-19 pandemic. (NAN)